Saturday, June 4, 2011

Just Keep Clean

In one of the classic tomes on running a steam traction engine from the late 1800's the author informs the reader that a good engineer will pick up a rag before a wrench. Seems all the good mechanics I know are the same way. Wiping tools down after use and keeping the project and themselves clean. So I'm pleased to say the only mechanical thing I did to the bug today was wash and vacuum it and spend a delightful forty five minutes with a rag attempting to detail my engine. It's no show engine but it's cleaner then it was before. I think I figured out where the license plate light is wired in and did a quick and dirty temporary fix.
Keeping things clean around a steam engine is paramount. As one cleans and oils it's a time for inspection and a general look over of the operating mechanics. I remember well spending hours on spring rigging and frame inspections. I got to know the underside of that steam locomotive fairly well and it taught me a lot about how it worked and what to look for. Not all learning is or should be active. The ability to passively take in information and figure out what it means is just as important as it being given to you. The old man in me says that is a skill lost on the current generation. But then again I'm only twenty nine!
And as a side project the Typesetter and I attempted to gain some clearance between the drivers side front fender. You see the bumper on that side was viciously attacked by a telephone pole two winters ago and I was afraid the tire was rubbing on the fender which was being pushed in by the fender. Being that I live in a trailer court the following image raised no eyebrows. I'd like to see people try a repair like this with a modern day car!
 This is also a classic case of history helping history. The piece of metal The Typesetter is using is actually an old drill head from a mine about ten miles up stream from Virginia City, MT. In the end the project was successful and I'm no longer worried about the rubbing. Sometimes a come-along and old iron is all it takes to get the job done. May not be pretty but it works! Oh, and happy belated 74th birthday Volkswagen!

No comments: