Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Rain and Classic Cars

It was a wonderful morning in my classic car. Woke up to rain on the roof and knew it would be an excellent morning to enjoy my little slice of vintage motoring. I was up high in the mountains and there was a palatable anticipation of the drive home. The near vertical windshield was covered in drops when I finally settled into the cracked and worn vinyl that is the drivers seat. There has been a small problem with the #1 fuse and as I lifted the ignition cover, flipped mags to both, and pushed the starter I was curious if it would give me trouble. No trouble, just the soft burble into a harsh rap that announced Zazu was awake.
Now for those of you who don't know what the #1 fuse on a VW Beetle does it controls not only the turn signals but also the fuel gauge. Both very important when your trying to drive legally. It also cuts out the binnacle light behind the speedometer.
Engine running well, right heat lever on, flick the wipers a few times and we're off  As I head down the winding logging road it's third gear and a touch of brakes now and then. This is the best driving. Nothing but the the sound of 1600cc of vintage engine propelling me home. The rattles and squeaks that I've become used to and expect. Being so much closer to the driving experience then in a modern car is great when your alone and the scenery is stunning.
Back on the pavement pick it up a little bit. Feel and hear the reassuring fweem as the speed comes up. Heat is now working, feet hot and radiating upward. Soon the cabin is comfortably toasty as I pass the golf course by the river. Then it's a two rights, a left and a right before I flick off the ignition and sit for a moment savoring the ride. Life in the Old Car Club continues.

No comments: