Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Ten Cents

A few days ago the mighty 1600 started falling all over itself. This is after a period of relative good behavior on the part of my car so I was expecting it but also a bit perturbed. Only because it was dangerous.
Zazu has always had a minor flat spot with his new motor. But this was beyond a mere flat spot. We were partially dying coming off the line and made merging into traffic a game of chicken. Not something you want to be doing as you confront 80k lbs of semi truck on a busy main street. First I thought it was simple timing, but nothing I did seemed to affect the hesitation. Replaced a vacuum hose that had a hole but that also did nothing. Fearing the worst I took it to my mechanic and had him look at it. He found the problem. Here is a picture of said problem.
Look closer. See that big gaping round hole in my carburetor? That is not supposed to be there. As near as I can make it out it was causing way to much air to enter my fuel air mixture and the result was as expected. So I jumped on The Samba for a solution. And here is a picture of said solution.
JB Weld and one American ten cent piece. Runs like a top. And this is why I like old cars.
A friend of mine recently picked up a new import with all the gizmo's and gadgets. It knows if he's next to the car or not. Can handle his phone calls. I wouldn't be surprised if it made him coffee and could tuck him in. But with all that technology in a car, what if it it goes wrong? Where are you if you're stranded and some ten cent widget goes tits up and it's what makes your car go? I know of people calling for rides because their car thought it was being stolen and wouldn't start. That frightens me. It really does. I want as was said in The Love Bug, honest dependable transportation. And that simple doesn't sound like it to me. I like knowing with a well stocked tool box, a book on how my car works and bent paper clip I can do most of what I need to keep my car running. That is so much more important then if I can check my Facebook while I'm driving. And it turns out if a ten cent widget takes a dive there is a possibility I'll come out ahead of the deal. Takes all kinds I guess. Life in the Old Car Club continues......

No comments: