Monday, December 29, 2008

Pilot to Co-Pilot

It's been snowing here a lot, two inches total last night alone. This has made driving fun. And I backed my car into a skip, but no damage I can't repair this summer. But the roommate, one Stuntman Mike, drove into town to check up on why I can't receive picture messages. It was a two man job. One person to do the driving, the other to keep the windows clear and transparent. Why this is important, one must understand how the defrost system of a 1970 bug works.
On the front end of the car, the pointy end for you you noobs, it's accomplished through a devilish combination of fresh air and heated air. The idea is sound in principle, the fresh air will assist in the movement of hot air across the windshield, thus removing any obstruction. That's the idea. There are two problems with this. One, there is a constant stream of cold air entering the vehicle. Two, it's like trying to nail jello to a moving poodle playing racquetball. It just doesn't work. And on the back end, it's a heating latice like any other modern car.
You can read the forums and techincal manuals, they throw around words like "Doghouse Flaps" and "Well sealed trunk". Well those don't exist on a 38 year old car. They can, but that takes money and that's going to things like rent and if I smoked, cigarettes. Good thing I don't smoke. But I digress.
In the modern world the heat is fan driven and it does it's job wonderfully. But in my car, I need a copilot with either a scraper and or a squegee to periodicaly clear my front windows. I end up using my only side mirror as my rear view but only on the drivers side because my real rear view mirror has fogged up. My blindspots are truely blind as I can't see through the condenstation. So I either don't change lanes, have to ask my co-driver, or guess. I don't like that last option.
But the traction has been good recently.

No comments: